Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Traditional Kolache

We just called it Grandma's nut bread but it was so good. After Grandma passed, my mother and her sisters tried to make the bread but it wasn't as good. Within a few years, it was dropped completely from the Christmas menu.

I have fond memories of sitting around the kitchen table cracking bags and bags of walnuts. Each batch of bread required 4 1/2 cups of finely chopped walnuts. The yummy smells that came from the kitchen when my Grandma was cooking are among my dearest childhood memories.

In a moment of nostalgia, I googled then found a recipe that seemed like what a 40 year ago memory of me as a 10-year-old could remember about Grandma's nut bread. Here is what I found:

KOLACHE

DOUGH
2 packages active yeast
½ cup warm milk
¼ cup sugar
In a bowl, mix the warm milk, sugar and yeast. Let dissolve.
1 cup butter
1 cup sour cream
3 eggs
4 - 4 ½ up to 6 - 6 ½ cups flour
In a separate bowl, mix butter, sour cream, eggs and flour. Pour in the yeast mixture. Stir together.
The dough should be sticky.
Turn the dough on a floured surface. Knead until smooth. Cover & let rise about an hour.

FILLING
1 ¼ sugar
½ cup butter
1 egg
½ teaspoon cinnamon
4 ½ cups ground walnuts
1 large apple, peeled & grated
In a skillet, add all filling ingredients & cook until warm on low. Let cool.

DOUGH PREP
Punch down. Turn on a floured surface. Divide into four. Roll dough into a rectangle. Spread filling. Roll dough like a jelly roll. Place on baking pan. Cover & let rise to double about 30 minutes.

Bake 350 for 40 minutes. Remove from pans to cool.

After all these years, I made the bread today. It's as delicious as I remember. My husband and kids love it too. Ommie's nut bread recipe is found. :) 

2 comments:

Sharon Himsl said...

Nice memory of Grandma. Not your everyday nutbread recipe!

Joanne said...

neat story. There are always lost recipes and good memories.