Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Bougainvillea: A Childhood Memory

Bougainvillea is firmly planted in my childhood memory. The pink flowering plant native to South America grows well in the warmer climates of the US.

Bougainvillea is a frost-sensitive so it grows best outside in warm, frost-free climates and in pots or baskets in cooler climates where the plant can be brought indoors. It’s a slow growing plant that flowers year-round when planted in fertile soil.

Start a Bouganvilla with a four to six inch cutting. Strip the leaves from the lower half of the cutting. Plant the cutting in a good potting mix. Water thoroughly. Place the pot in an area of filtered sunlight until the cutting starts to grow. At six weeks transfer the Bougainvillea into the garden.

In my memory, the Bougainvillea shaded the back porch, protected me from the hot summer sun and gave me a great place to play with my dog.

5 comments:

x said...

The brilliant color of the Bougainvillea is really special for me. I fell in love with it when we lived in Southern CA, and miss it!

Kate OMara said...

It is a unique color! I hope you like the photo. :)

Rick Smith said...

Interesting and informative Kathleen. I was unfamiliar with the plant until now. Thanks for sharing!

Kate OMara said...

I'm so happy to share it with you Rick. It's a favorite. :)

Unknown said...

Forgiving does not erase the bitter past. A healed memory is not a deleted memory. Instead, forgiving what we cannot forget creates a new way to remember. We change the memory of our past into a hope for our future. See the link below for more info.


#memory
www.matreyastudios.com