In a crazy world of no accountability, no consequences, one could imagine that executives would be shifting responsibility, blaming the government, blaming the silent victims & coastal communities, seeking the cheapest way to stop the flow instead of the fastest and reporting profits in the middle of it all… but that would mean… oh, wait…
Just a thought:
Naughty children need to demonstrate that their lack of responsibility has been replaced by way of amends to behave with a sense of contrition and humility.
1) Start with a hay barrier for coastal areas: the technology is available, hay is available and experts are available who can direct the retrieval process and recycled the oil soaked hay into blacktop type of products.
2) Retrieve as much oil from the water as possible with a vacuum system, refine it, recycle it. Do not let it float & destroy any more than it already has. Do not hide it under the water.
3) Development of workable solutions should have begun already but… let’s begin immediately. One would think that a sort of rubber tampon or upside-down umbrella or balloon would fill the inside the oil shaft to temporarily stop the flow until the relief well could be drilled tout de suite.
4) Double-double overtime on the relief well.
5) Surely there are engineers and scientists with even more solutions. Pay them well to fix this fast.
Turn a bad situation around and develop solutions that can be made part of regular protocol because it's the long-term profitable thing to do.