Sunday, August 31, 2008

Amazing Crawdads

Amazing Grace How Sweet the Sound... a standard and a song that can bring tears to my eyes... for two reasons... it's sung well and it's sung badly...

As I sat on a friend's sofa last night, several people decided to sing a few songs. Amazing Grace was requested and happily, this time it was sung Amazingly Well. I was pleased to listen.

Not to give the wrong impression, the next song was "You Get A Line" which is a childhood favourite and one of the first songs I learned to play on guitar.

you get a line and I'll get a pole, honey
you get a line and I'll get a pole, babe
you get a line and I'll get a pole,
we'll go down to the crawdad hole
honey sugar baby mine...

As a child, crawdads were not on the menu... so I sang that song for years with no idea about what I sang.

Having moved to the Southern United States, I've seen folks fishing for crawdads, catching crawdads, and I'm left wondering... who was the first person who pulled a crawdad out of the water and thought, "geez, that looks like good eatin'..."

My Daddy used to say, "To each his own, said Mary, as she kissed the cow" which didn't make an sense to me but it made me laugh... Now, I completely understand especially when it comes to crawdads, and it still makes me laugh.

No comments: