Friday, June 26, 2015

Peter and the Wolf

It isn't the first time that I've had the profound realization that music has a special power. 

Music makes people smile. 
Music makes people cry. 
It can raise emotions to anger or motivate a nation to patriotic fervor for the good of human rights or to the decimation of war. 

But today, a regular day with nothing notable to it, a song came on the radio as I drove up the street to my favorite coffee place to have tea. Not really a conformist no matter how hard I try. 

Anyway, as I punched the buttons through the commercials I came to the classical station and there, just beginning was the symphony, Peter and the Wolf. Instantly, I was transformed to a 7 year old girl sitting on my Dad's lap as he identified the different instruments; narrating as the music progressed. Until my imagniation took over and I watched as Peter hunted for the Wolf. 

What wondrous power music has to melt the years away, and what a wonderful piece of music to do it

No comments: