Wednesday, April 4, 2012

D = Dedication to Deliver by Deadline: A to Z Challenge


I hold that a writer who does not passionately believe in the perfectibility of man has no dedication nor any membership in literature.
~ John Steinbeck


The difference between a professional writer and a hobbyist is the ability to deliver quality work, with little or no editing required, on time, every time. Having the dedication to deliver material by the deadline is often an editor’s determining factor when assigning a project to a writer.

I share inside information with new writers about editors and how they judge writers harshly if a deadline isn’t met. It is understandable. The writer’s tardiness places more pressure on the editor and may create an adverse situation.

From the editor’s perspective, it is important to rely on writers who have met deadlines. If the deadline passes, the editor needs to replace the writer and/or fill the space in some other way. This editor will remember your name.

New writers should commit to articles they know they can deliver. In this way, the writer builds a reputation of being punctual. Extra work may be available for a punctual writer if they have proved they are also capable of quick turn-around.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm big on deadlines. My OCD tendencies love and require them.

Kate OMara said...

Hi Joshua, Sometimes deadlines make things easier or at least gives us guidelines.

loverofwords said...

I think deadlines help unless you have incredible self-discipline. I am such a procrastinator, but I don't have writing deadlines now, no longer being in school, so this challenge is good for me.

Whole Foods Living said...

I agree! The project isn't complete until it's truly done and turned in. Having a great pitch, concept or outline means nothing unless you can deliver. Great reminder for all writers and project managers hiring writers! Thanks for stopping by my blog! ~ Angela, Whole Foods Living, http://www.wholefoodsliving.blogspot.com/

Tracy Moore said...

Great post! You are so right about the importance of delivering on time. I'm so glad that I was able to find your blog...thank you so much for your thoughtful comment on mine today. Luckily I was able to google your name with the word blog and find your site because the link attached to your signature has some letters reversed. ;) Now I'm all signed up to make it easy to get back!

Kate OMara said...

Thank you Ladies for reading & commenting on deadlines:) I appreciate your time & consideration.

Kate OMara said...

Thank you Ladies for reading & commenting on deadlines:) I appreciate your time & consideration.

ejwforeman said...

I'm not a writer, but I struggle with deadlines in all areas of my life. It's one of the reasons I wanted to participate in the A-Z challenge.

Cynthia said...

Even if I'm doing some pleasure fiction writing, sometimes I still like to set deadlines to keep myself on track.

Anjali Krishna said...

I agree. Perfection and punctuality is the best combination, one could look for, in a writer. :)

Dihiwi said...

Great tips and certainly understandable. No one wants to work with someone who is unreliable.

Kristin said...

So true, not only for writers, but all professions. Never committ to something you can't deliver, it will make life easier for everyone!

Unknown said...

I thrive on deadlines.

And I love that quote by Steinbeck.

--Damyanti, Co-host A to Z Challenge April 2012

Twitter: @AprilA2Z
#atozchallenge

PS: pls turn off your word verification to make it easier to comment---you might consider comment moderation instead if you're unsure :)

Jenn said...

I love deadlines too. :)

Shelley Sly said...

Very good point. Deadlines (set by myself, anyway) help me stay productive. If I'm ever lucky enough to have an editor, you bet I'll work just as hard to meet my goals.

Kate OMara said...

I thought this would bring some disagreement! LOL